When catastrophic accidents or injuries happen, an experienced personal injury attorney can provide essential help, support and representation to victims. But sometimes knowing when to hire a lawyer and finding the right one can seem overwhelming, especially if you’ve never had to seek legal help before.
Finding a solution and securing financial recovery is extremely important to you and your family. So rather than selecting an attorney with the biggest marketing budget to spend on billboards and commercials, consider this frank and straightforward advice on how to choose the best personal injury lawyer for you and why get help in the first place.
Why Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
While we can’t speak for all law firms, we can explain how Finderson Law aims to assist our clients. Our skilled lawyers and legal team can can help accident victims and survivors obtain the compensation they deserve for their suffering and losses in the following ways:
- Evaluate your claim and explain the recovery options. We can review the details and evidence associated with your claim and determine all liable parties. This first step is important to holding each of the negligent parties accountable and maximizing your recovery.
- Complete and file the paperwork necessary to initiate your claim. We will make sure that all necessary forms and other paperwork are properly completed and filed on time. This can be critical to avoiding delays or other complications that may impact the value and/or outcome of your claim.
- Gather evidence to bolster your case. Police reports, witness testimony, physical evidence and expert testimony are just a few examples of evidence that can be central to proving liability and making your personal injury claim as strong as possible. Our lawyers know how to track down, preserve and present this evidence to help accident victims move forward with a strong claim.
- Protect your rights throughout the process. Whether your case involves dealing with insurance companies, negotiating in mediation or litigating in the courtroom, our attorneys advocate for our clients’ rights in any setting and at every phase of the claim. This can give you confidence that your claim is protected as you focus on getting treatments and healing.
It’s important to note that a good personal injury attorney will tailor his or her service to fit the needs of a particular claim and client. Consequently, our attorneys typically do much more than the general benefits listed above.
How to Choose the Right Personal Injury Attorney for Your Claim
Now that you generally understand how hiring a lawyer can benefit you, you may be wondering how to find the best one near you.
As with anything else, not all lawyers provide the same quality of representation. Some attorneys and law firms have vastly more experience, resources, knowledge and skill. So, if you are preparing to retain a personal injury attorney, it’s crucial you select the right professional to handle your claim by looking for a lawyer who has:
- Experience and success handling cases similar to yours. Personal injury is a broad area of law. Don’t just go with any personal injury lawyer. Make sure the attorney you choose has a good amount of experience overseeing and successfully resolving cases that involve incidents like the one that harmed you.
- A good track record with former clients. Check the lawyer’s online reviews and consider asking for references. What former clients have to say about their experiences with an attorney can reveal a lot about how a lawyer operates, the quality of service you can expect and whether (or not) moving forward with a given option is smart (or risky).
- A professional, trustworthy demeanor. Professionalism, trust and respect are essential parts of an attorney-client relationship. Choose a lawyer who instills trust, listens to your needs and concerns, and who gives you confidence that you can rely on them moving forward.
- A clear, solid plan for helping you obtain the recovery you deserve. After you’ve narrowed down your options for an attorney, ask the lawyer you are considering what they will do to get your case started. You want a lawyer who is ready to take the right action, right away. Don’t hire someone who plans to put your case on hold or pass it off to a non-attorney associate after you sign the retainer.
Questions to Ask a Personal Injury or Car Accident Attorney
Most personal injury lawyers offer free consultations in order to get to know you and the facts of your case at no charge. This meeting also gives you an opportunity to learn more about the lawyer and their approach to your case by asking the following questions:
- What cases do you specialize in?
- What percentage of your firm is focused on personal injury?
- Are you board certified?
- Have you tried or settled similar cases in my area?
- Who will be assigned to my case?
- How long do you anticipate my case taking?
- How much do you think my claim is worth?
- Are you comfortable going to trial, if necessary?
- What is your current caseload?
- Are you a member of any professional organizations or associations?
- What are the main challenges or obstacles you see in winning my case?
- What will my role be in the case?
- How much do your services cost, and how does the fee structure work? (If we lose my case, will I have to pay any out-of-pocket expenses?)
- Can I speak to a past client or see testimonials?
Hire the Right Attorney for Your Claim Law
If you or someone you love was hurt by any form of negligence, contact a Fort Wayne personal injury lawyer at Finderson Law to get clear and helpful answers about your potential claim. Contact us to set up your free, no obligation initial consultation and discover your legal options for financial recovery.
At Finderson Law, you can count on receiving the highest quality representation and personal legal service, regardless of the value of your claim. Let us explain how our representation can make all the difference in your claim.
From our office in Fort Wayne, we are proud to represent clients throughout Allen County and the state of Indiana.